Rolled turkey breast with herby cranberry stuffing & crispy bacon
Cook: 1hr 30 mins
For the cranberry stuffing:
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1tbsp sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1tsp thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 1tsp fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 50g dried cranberries
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 5-7tbsp white wine
- Salt & pepper to taste
For the turkey:
- 1kg turkey breast joint
- 12 rashes thin streaky bacon
For the basting liquid:
- 2tbsp clementine juice
- 3tbsp maple syrup
- To prepare the stuffing, heat up the olive oil in a frying pan. Add the shallots and sautee for 2-3 mins until just softened. Add the garlic and herbs and cook for a further 2mins. Add the breadcrumbs, cranberries, lemon juice, salt & pepper and enough wine to bind the stuffing together, around 5-7tbsp. Cook over medium heat for 7-10minutes. Set aside and cool down. You can also prepare the stuffing in advance – it will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Preheat the oven to 180 Fan/200C / 400F /Gas Mark 6.
- To prepare the turkey, gently remove the skin and slice the right-hand side of the turkey breast almost all the way through and open up like a book. Place the turkey breast between 2 pieces of parchment paper and bash with a rolling pin to flatten it out until around 1inch thick. Generously season the turkey with salt & pepper from both sides.
- Spread an even layer of stuffing all over the flattened turkey breast. Firmly press it into the turkey with the palm of your hands. Gently roll up the turkey into a roulade and place on a piece of parchment paper seam side down.
- On a separate sheet of parchment paper, arrange the bacon in a lettuce style. Drop the parchment paper sheet with bacon onto the turkey breast and gently peel off the paper, leaving the bacon on top of the turkey. Smooth the bacon over the turkey and tuck it in tightly all around the sides. Using the kitchen string, loop it underneath the turkey and tie on the top. Repeat every inch and a half. Place the turkey into a roasting dish and arrange the clementine around the turkey.
- For the basting liquid, combine clementine juice and maple syrup and whisk well. Using Zyliss baster, baste the liquid all over the turkey and clementine. Roast in the oven for 60mins or until the bacon is crisp and the turkey and stuffing are thoroughly cooked.
- Transfer the turkey to a serving platter. Cover with foil and leave to rest for 15 minutes. Squeeze the roasted clementine juice all over the turkey just before serving.